Current:Home > StocksGeorgia election workers settle defamation lawsuit against conservative website -Capitatum
Georgia election workers settle defamation lawsuit against conservative website
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-05 23:19:04
ATLANTA (AP) — Two Georgia election workers have reached a settlement in their defamation lawsuit against a Missouri-based conservative website that falsely accused them of fraud in the 2020 presidential election, according to a court filing earlier this week.
The lawsuit against The Gateway Pundit, its owner Jim Hoft and his brother Joe Hoft “has been resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties through a fair and reasonable settlement,” lawyers for Ruby Freeman and Wandrea “Shaye” Moss said Friday.
Monday’s filing in St. Louis City Circuit Court didn’t give any terms of the settlement, but said actions under the agreement are supposed to be completed by March 29. Both sides asked a judge to postpone the case until then, when they expect to request a dismissal.
Lawyers for Hoft did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
Nearly 70 articles cited as defamatory in the lawsuit were no longer available Friday on The Gateway Pundit website, The Associated Press found.
The company that owns The Gateway Pundit filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization, but a judge dismissed the case in July, finding the company was solvent and had filed the suit in bad faith in an effort to frustrate the lawsuit by Freeman and Moss.
Freeman and Moss, who were Fulton County election workers, sued over The Gateway Pundit’s repeated claims that the mother-and-daughter pair introduced suitcases of illegal ballots while working as ballot counters at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta in November 2020.
Freeman and Moss also sued others, including including former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and One America News Network, saying they pushed Donald Trump’s lies about the election being stolen, which led to death threats that made them fear for their lives.
Freeman and Moss are trying to collect a $148 million defamation judgment they won against Giuliani for his false ballot fraud claims.
OAN settled with Freeman and Moss in 2022. It posted a video saying state officials “have concluded that there was no widespread voter fraud by election workers who counted ballots at the State Farm Arena in November 2020. The results of this investigation indicate that Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ‘Shaye’ Moss did not engage in ballot fraud or criminal misconduct while working at State Farm Arena on election night.”
Freeman and Moss were dragged into the spotlight on Dec. 3, 2020, when a representative from Trump’s legal team, Jacki Pick, showed a Georgia Senate committee surveillance video from the room where ballots were counted. Pick said Republican observers were asked to leave and that once they were gone, election workers counted hidden, fraudulent ballots.
Pick didn’t name the election workers “but said ‘one of them had the name Ruby across her shirt somewhere,’” the lawsuit said. Later that day, The Gateway Pundit was the first outlet to publish Freeman’s full name, and in a subsequent story also identified Moss, the lawsuit said.
The allegation that “suitcases” of ballots were pulled from under tables away from the eyes of observers was almost immediately debunked. But the Gateway Pundit and the Hofts perpetuated the narrative, publishing and promoting stories after they were aware claims had been disproven, the lawsuit said.
In a phone call with Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Jan. 2, Trump pressed the Republican official to “find” votes for him and mentioned Freeman by name, calling her “a vote scammer, a professional vote scammer and hustler.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
Freeman was a temporary election worker in 2020. Moss has worked for the Fulton County elections department since 2012 and supervised the absentee ballot operation.
As the allegations spread, Freeman received emails, text messages and threatening phone calls, and strangers showed up at her house, the lawsuit said. The FBI concluded on Jan. 6, 2021, that she wasn’t safe at home, and she relocated for two months. She abandoned her business selling clothing.
Moss’ teenage son was bombarded with threatening messages after harassers found her old phone number, which he was using, the lawsuit said. Because she previously lived with her grandmother, the lawsuit said, strangers showed up at her grandmother’s house at least twice and tried to enter to make a “citizen’s arrest.”
veryGood! (14647)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Putin hails Russia’s military performance in Ukraine and he vows to achieve Moscow’s goals
- The UK and France reiterate that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine must end in failure as US aid falters
- Gogl-mogl: old world home remedy that may comfort — even if it doesn't cure
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- West accuses Iran of illegally testing missiles, transferring drones to Russia, enriching uranium
- CIA director William Burns meets Israel's Mossad chief in Europe in renewed push to free Gaza hostages
- Parenting advice YouTuber Ruby Franke pleads guilty to 4 counts of child abuse
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Why Mariah Carey and Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Are Sparking Breakup Rumors
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- These 50 Top-Rated Amazon Gifts for Teens With Thousands of 5-Star Reviews Will Arrive By Christmas
- NFL Week 15 winners, losers: Believe in the Browns?
- Colorado releases 5 wolves in reintroduction program approved by voters
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Remains found in LA-area strip mall dumpster identified as scion's alleged murder victim
- Texas police: Suspect hit pedestrian mistaken for a deer, drove 38 miles with body in car
- Ja Morant lawsuit provides glimpse into his youth, family and a contentious pickup game
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Trial set for North Dakota’s pursuit of costs for policing Dakota Access pipeline protests
EPA Begins a Review Process That Could Bring an End to Toxic, Flammable Vinyl Chloride
Anthony Edwards addresses text messages allegedly of him telling woman to 'get a abortion'
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Jordan Davis nearly turned down his viral moment on Eagles' Christmas album
Remains found in LA-area strip mall dumpster identified as scion's alleged murder victim
Car crashes into parked Secret Service SUV guarding Biden's motorcade outside Delaware campaign headquarters